Samara State University is one of the leading universities in the region successfully introducing information technologies into educational process, research and management. Informatization is one of the priorities of SSU development. The main aim of informatization is to create favourable information environment for training and research, to ensure high quality education and effective university management thorough introduction and application of present-day information technologies.
Samara State University is an important Internet-provider in the region. SSU information network includes 30 servers and 31 computer rooms for easy access to the Internet, e-mail and other electronic resources. SSU campus has high-speed wireless access through LTE (4G) technologies perfect for using laptops, iPods and iPads. University dormitories also have Internet access.
SSU successfully applies distance learning technologies and utilizes Moodle platform for developing electronic courses and e-learning resources as well as e-testing systems and online conferences. The university houses regional branch of the united database of electronic resources “Science and Education” for registering copyright to e-learning resources.
SSU library provides free access to numerous electronic resources and e-libraries like Elsevier and Science Direct, Nature PG, Taylor & Francis (MetaPress), SWETSWISE, Oxford University Press, Myilibrary, etc. SSU creates perfect academic environment for students and faculty to achieve better results and advance in training and research.
IT academic system of SSU integrates the following divisions:
- Information Computing Center is responsible for support of university network, purchase and maintenance of hardware and software;
- Information Analytic Center is in charge of development and support of external telecommunications, e-mail server and Internet portal of the university;
- Media Center provides multimedia equipment and technical support of training process, ensures access to e-learning resources;
- Center of Distant Educational Technologies introduces distant learning technologies into educational process of the university and provides access of the faculty and students to online courses and e-learning resources;
- Laboratory of High Performance Computing develops and supports computing cluster of the university;
- IT Study Center provides training of the faculty and students in the sphere on computer literacy, as well refreshing courses for IT professionals. IT study center houses Cisco Systems Local Academy, D-Link Center, Nexans Center, runs courses on Linux, ALT Linux, Apache, PHP, etc.