Samara State University Alumni Association was established in 2005 and has grown into a powerful network of intelligent and interesting people with bright personalities. The Association works to connect Samara State University and its alumni and friends and to promote cooperation between them as well as to foster the feeling of belonging and support general advancement of the University.
SSU Alumni Association sees education and research as the most relevant tools in serving the community.
- to connect alumni, students, the university and the community;
- to support SSU alumni initiatives and provide opportunities for realization of their ideas;
- to provide opportunities for professional development;
- to inform alumni about SSU events.
Third Age University
In February, 2006 a tiny advertisement was published in the “Sozialnaya gazeta” (Social Newspaper) inviting pensioners to join The University of the Third Age. Organizational meeting hosted more than 200 people which became a great surprise and at the same time a stimulus for the project. Third Age University was founded in 2006 and was the only one of its kind in Russia at that time. The University unites elderly people who are no longer employed and who are striving for new knowledge and experiences. Senior citizens have wide opportunities for learning and leisure. Since the foundation more than 600 students, aged 50 – 87, “graduated” from the University.
The unique curriculum was worked out by a team of educators including Valentina Y. Kadochkina, Ph.D. in Psychology, the irreplaceable Director of the Third Age University; Alexey V. Nechaev, Ph.D. in Philosophy, SSU alumni, Head of International Relations Department at SSU, Natalya V. Bodyagina, SSU alumni.
The curriculum consists of two stages:
The 1st stage is called “Transitional age”. Our students attend lectures on psychology, ecology, health life-style, legal issues. As they enter retirement their lives change dramatically, many start feeling lonely and isolated and it takes a long time to get used to their new reality. During the 1st stage tutors help the elderly people to deal with the situation giving advice and proving that any problem can be solved. Retirees get a new outlook on life and by the end of the course they present their projects “My future as I see it”. Those projects are just amazing! Some choose to write their workout program, some write their family trees. Work on the project is a great step forward for these people.
The 2nd stage consists of teaching four special courses.
- “Computer science” is the most popular course. Elderly people realize that nowadays it is extremely important to have access to information. They are taught basic skills: working with a computer, Microsoft office applications, Internet, email.
- “Healthy lifestyle”. People at all ages need to be in a good shape. This course offers a program for our students to keep fit.
- “Expert grannies”. Students of the Third Age University are people who have rich life experience; they have a lot to tell young people. However, they are often too authoritarian and instructive. The main objective of the course is to teach elderly people to transfer their knowledge in a way that young people would want to learn from them.
- “Regional studies”. This course was launched thanks to Prof. Edward L. Dubman who was giving lectures in History of Samara. These lectures were so popular that our students asked to develop a special course on regional studies.
After the students complete the 2nd stage they also present their projects. Some of them were devoted to such topics as Music in Samara, Samara patrons and philanthropists, Icon-painter Grigoriy Zhuravlev and many others.
During the years of existence the Third Age University grew and developed. Students introduced new initiatives and suggested various forms of activities.
Some students expressed a burning desire to study English and we were glad to find a tutor who helps them; some take dancing classes. Most active alumni organized a discussion club “Silver age” and they invite outstanding people of the region. Another popular activity is a tourist club. Our students find great pleasure in going hiking and have toured lots of places all over Samarskaya Luka.
In the summer of 2011 our students participated in the forum “Silver Age”. After appearance on TV and in newspapers our University became even more popular.
We can definitely say that the Third Age University is a start for self-development and interaction between retirees in Samara and are happy to invite more students to join us.
Open lectures is one of the University tools to fulfill its mission of spreading knowledge among the community. We welcome students, alumni and community members to attend lectures by outstanding specialists in such areas as sociology and economics, political sciences, culture studies and education, business and management. Open lectures provide good opportunities for advancing your career as well as networking.
We believe that tolerance is a key principle of behaviour and successful communication. Our projects involve school children, students, community members and are aimed at developing mutual understanding among representatives of different countries. In our efforts to spread the idea of tolerance we were supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of Samara region, the European Commission, and hundreds of people who share our ideas.
Become a member!
We would be glad to see you as a member of Samara State University Alumni Association.
Simply fill in the application form and send it to us by email.
We will get back to you as soon as possible!
1, Akademik Pavlov st., 443011 Samara, Russian Federation
Office 104 (Building of Law Faculty)
Tel: (846) 271 11 16
Fax: (846) 337 99 08